ALL VETERANS IN VA HEALTH CARE PLEASE READ
New Emergency Hospital Notification Process (for Veteran’s Who Self-Present to a Community ER)
Beginning on June 8, 2020 the emergency hospital notification process for VA Nationwide will change. The decision of whether a Veteran’s emergency hospital visit is being paid for by the VA will no longer be made at the facility level. All 72-hour notifications and emergency hospital visit eligibility decisions will be processed through one centralized location, the Community Care Centralized Call Center.
PLEASE NOTE THESE IMPORTANT CHANGES:
- Veterans and/or Facilities notify the new Community Care Centralized Authorization Call Center to notify the VA of a Veteran receiving Emergency Room care.
- 72-hour notifications are not communicated to the facility Transfer Center.
- The Emergency Hospital Notification Treatment note will not be completed by VA staff.
- VA facilities do not enter a community care emergency department consult for Veterans who self-present to a Community Emergency Room.
- Authorizations for Veterans who self-present for community Emergency care will be managed by the new Centralized Authorized Emergency Care team.
COMMUNITY CARE CENTRALIZED CALL CENTER
Phone: 1-844-72HRVHA or (1- 844-724-7842)
Fax (VA Only): 1-833-72HRVHA or (1-833-724-7842)
INFORMATION THAT MUST BE PROVIDED TO THE CALL CENTER:
- Full Name of Veteran
- Date of Birth
- Full Social Security Number
- Hospital Name and address
- Date presented to Facility
- Reason for Visit
- Point of Contact Name and Number